Palisade History

Palisade, located in the eastern end of the Grand Valley, was named for the austere and dramatic palisades–steep cliffs of Mancos Shale bordering the town. The sculptured appearance was formed by various geologic uplifts in the area combined with localized erosion and down cutting by the Colorado River. Mancos Shale is mudrock that accumulated in marine environments of the Cretaceous Inland Sea which retreated about 75 million years ago. The Mesa Verde geologic sands were stripped from the mountains and built up as beach sands and river beds.

The Mesa Verde geologic formation is also known for its thick layers of coal. In Colorado, coal was formed in the middle Cretaceous Times (144-65 million years ago). In Palisade, the Mesa Verde formation provides abundant reserves of highly valuable low-sulfur bituminous coal.

At the turn of the 20th century, coal mining was a big business and as important to Palisade’s early development as fruit growing. More than a dozen coal mines operated in the area. John Nichols opened the Cameo Mine in 1885 which later provided coal for the Public Service Company power plant built on the former Cameo town site in 1957. Most of the mines closed in the late 1950s when natural gas replaced coal for heating.

For well over 10,000 years, Native Americans used the abundant waters flowing in the Grand Valley. When the area officially opened to white settlement in 1882, pioneers not disappointed by the Valley’s desolate appearance saw potential–if water from what was then the Grand River could be captured through dams, diversions, and canals. The subsequent irrigation projects transformed the desert into one of the most productive agricultural regions in Colorado and the Intermountain West.

By the mid 1880s, it was apparent Palisade’s unique geologic location protects crops from spring freezes. The local climate is often referred to as the “banana belt.” The mild climate and unique terrain create near-perfect peach growing conditions in the approximate 10-mile area stretching from the tip of Mt. Garfield to the south end of East Orchard Mesa. Wind moves 8 to 12 mph down-slope from the north and is focused by DeBeque Canyon. This “million dollar wind” is compressed and warms the air to prevent crop-killing frosts in the spring. As the katabatic wind moves west – down valley – it spreads out and its warming affect diminishes. In addition, the palisades absorb warmth and help prevent frost damage. The mild climate, a 182 day growing season, plenty of sunshine and water through elaborate irrigation systems, dams and canals, make Palisade the “Peach Capital.” Mineral-rich soil and our 4,700 foot altitude–which means warm days and cool nights–are also credited for Palisade’s great tasting peaches. Palisade makes Colorado the 7th largest peach producing state in the U.S.

Though a winter kill in 1962-63 wiped out most of the existing fruit trees, and a severe winter in 1989 again damaged the fruit trees and wine grapes, our growers bounced back. Palisade also largely survived pressure to convert prime irrigated land to high-density housing in response to a series of energy booms on the Western Slope. More recently, demand for locally-grown produce increased the number of fruit trees as well as expanded crops to include wine grapes, hops, and lavender. Palisade is a popular destination for fresh fruit, especially peaches, as well as 25 of Colorado’s 140 wineries. It is also the only wine grape growing region in the world more than 1,000 miles from an ocean and at 4,700 feet above sea level.

 

Palisade History

1977

  • United Fruit Growers’ association platform west of Kluge Avenue burns January 9.

  • Colorado Limited Winery Act in 1977 establishes a class of winery producing less than 100,000 gallons of wine per year and using at least fifty percent of Colorado grapes.

1978

Salinity environmental studies completed for stage one of the salinity project.

1979

Palisade Art Lovers (PALS) is started by nine members. The first Art Show was held soon after, on December 15, 1980 at the Palisade Public Library which was located in the Municipal Building on East 3rd St.

The 1980s

Palisade’s agriculture economy continues to evolve. The oil shale boom, which siphons off rich, agricultural land for employee housing, finally bursts. Palisade families create the Mesa Land Trust to offer financial incentives for conservation easements to save the unique farmland at the east end of the Grand Valley. Fruit growers suffer another severe winter kill in 1989 which damages trees and newly planted wine-grape vines. Wineries open, bringing another reason to visit Palisade.

1981

Jim Sewald opens Palisade’s first winery, Colorado Mountain Vineyards.

Education

Mt. Garfield Middle School built on Highway 6 about two miles west of Palisade.

Courtesy of Kaylan Robinson

1984

Public law 95-569 amended Title II provisions to authorize Colorado River Salinity Control.

Culture

Ruth Phillips adjusts paintings at the 1985 Palisade Art Lovers art show in the Community Center

Courtesy of Palisade Art Lovers (PALS)

1985

Bill Floryancic is voted first “Town Grouch.”

Agriculture

Palisade’s delicious peaches at Harrod’s Market in London in 1987 

Colorado Governor Roy Romer was there being interviewed as the Denver Broncos football team was in London to play an exhibition game with the Los Angeles Rams.

Courtesy of Loyd Files Research Library, Museums of Western Colorado, Peach Board of Control Collection

Business

Mary and Parker Carlson began Carlson Vineyards in 1988. It was the second winery in Palisade.

Courtesy of Carlson Vineyards

1989

  • Severe winter damages fruit and wine grape crops.

  • Doug Phillips and Eric Bruner who opened Plum Creek Cellars in Larkspur in 1984. move their winery to Palisade.

The 1990s

A group of parents successfully obtain special financing through the Underwood Amendment to build a new Palisade High School west of Palisade on G Road. The Chamber of Commerce and Town of Palisade successfully raise funds for a downtown improvement project which includes planting trees, replacing curb sidewalks with ADA compliant sloping sidewalks, new street lights and an information kiosk and gazebo. The blinking traffic light at 3rd and Main Streets is replaced by stop signs. Though fruit growing continues, more grapes are planted and more wineries open, which increases tourism.

Education

Palisade High School built in 1992

Courtesy of Kaylan Robinson

Community

The 1925 Palisade High School building becomes Mt. Garfield East. The building later becomes the Town’s property.

After the new high school on G Road west of Palisade opens in 1992, this building is used for other classes, including for sixth graders, and as an alternative high school. It is later purchased by the Town of Palisade.

Courtesy of Granat Family