The 2020 dig season at Mygatt-Moore Quarry has been cancelled.
We have made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 dig season. We are taking this time to develop some exciting new options and experiences for the 2021 dig season and hope you join us!
For cancellation options click the link at the top of the page.
We are also exploring options for alternative experiences for the 2020 dig season, if you would like more information, let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
Join the Museums of Western Colorado’s Paleontology Division at the Dinosaur Journey Museum in Fruita, Colorado as we explore and discover the richness of this region’s prehistoric past!
More than just viewing sites, many of our expeditions are discovering new information about the ancient life forms that used to roam what is now Colorado and the American Southwest. Our very popular dinosaur digs and adventures include excavating, prospecting, hiking, rafting, touring, and prepping fossil specimens.
We are family friendly, and a great vacation destination for future paleontologists.
Please download important information about our expeditions and cancellation policy here.
For more information or to register over the phone, please call 970.242.0971, ext. 206.
Follow Dinosaur Journey on Facebook here to see photos and fossils found from past digs!
About Our Paleo Expeditions
- Please note: Various expeditions are for ages 5 and older; each expedition has minimum age noted. Those 16 or younger must be accompanied by a paying adult participant on all expeditions.
- Gnats are common unwanted visitors in the quarry from May to July and, unfortunately, they do bite. This is one aspect of your experience we cannot control but of which we would like for you to be aware. Participants are encouraged to bring an insect repellent to the quarry with them.
- Weather conditions are unpredictable. Bring hats, sunscreen, sturdy shoes, and sweatshirt or light jacket.
- Although the average high for Grand Junction is 92° in July, it can be 5-10° hotter in the quarry. There are shade tents at the quarry but there is no native shade.
- Online bookings over the weekends and during federal holidays will experience a delay in processing. Please allow enough time for your booking to be processed before the expedition.
- Registration and medical forms must be completed before your registration is complete.
- Lunch is included on full and multi-day digs only.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
- Cancellations prior to three weeks in advance of the expedition date will be refunded at 80% of the dig/expedition cost (total cost, less the 20% non-refundable deposit).
- Cancellations within two to three weeks prior to the expedition date will be refunded at 50%.
- All cancellations within one week prior to the expedition date, and all no-shows forfeit full price; no refunds or credits will be issued for unused portions of the Paleontology Expeditions and Tours.
- If the Museum cancels the expedition due to weather or any other reason, we will do our best to make alternate arrangements, reschedule your expedition, or refund your registration in full.
- These cancellation policies are strictly enforced as our digs and expeditions fill up fast.
For more information, please call 970.242.0971, ext. 2212.